After updating windows 10, Ranorex Spy now fails to correctly highlight the buttons in a Windows titlebar

Bug reports.
sellebrd

After updating windows 10, Ranorex Spy now fails to correctly highlight the buttons in a Windows titlebar

Post by sellebrd » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:27 am

Windows version: 1809 Build 17763.379

Here are the steps to repro:

1. Open Ranorex Spy 9.0.0
2. Open Notepad.exe

3. Restore Down Notepad.exe screen (make sure it is NOT maximized)
4. In Spy, track the Close button
Result: The Close button is correctly highlighted

5. Maximize the Notepad.exe screen
4. In Spy, track the Close button
Result: The Close button is NOT correctly highlighted. Something between the Restore Down and the Close button gets highlighted instead.

This applies to all Windows forms.
This makes our tests fail now.
Last edited by sellebrd on Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

sellebrd

Re: After updating windows 10, Ranorex Spy now fails to correctly highlight the buttons in a Windows titlebar

Post by sellebrd » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:32 am

I created a video demonstrating the issue here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Z90x9 ... 721fxoNpa3

In the video, look closely on the top right to see what Ranorex Spy highlights.

It's all good when the screen is restored down.
But when it's maximized, it does not highlight the buttons exactly!

sellebrd

Re: After updating windows 10, Ranorex Spy now fails to correctly highlight the buttons in a Windows titlebar

Post by sellebrd » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:36 am

I have a Windows 10 computer with version 1803 Build 17134.167.

Also with Ranorex 9.0.0.

This issue is NOT reproducible there.

qwertzu

Post by qwertzu » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:48 pm

Hi sellebrd,

This could be caused by a strange resolution or DPI scaling on your machine.
Check the display settings and make sure to set the DPI scaling to 100 % and use a standard resolution.

Hope, this helps.
Regards, qwertzu

sellebrd

Post by sellebrd » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:05 pm

I created a support ticket with Ranorex, and I was able to get very quick response regarding this problem. Thank you, Ranorex!

So, according to them, this is an issue specific with Windows 10 version 1809 Build 17763.379.

Using Microsoft’s Inspect tool (comes with Windows SDK) which is very similar to Spy, the issue is also reproducible.

Update Windows with caution! :wink:

sellebrd

Post by sellebrd » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:32 pm

I upgraded to Windows 10 build 1903 and Ranorex 9.1.1.
The issue still exists. :-(

ahoisl
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post by ahoisl » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:56 pm

Unfortunately, this is really an issue with Windows 10 since version 1809. We've reported this issue to Microsoft already last year, but it took them since last week to finally confirm it's an issue - and they claim to work on it, at least they could finally reproduce the problem.

And they also found a workaround: The problem does not occur if you configure your Windows "Display settings" such that the first monitor is also the "main display" (see screenshot below).
image011.jpg
We will keep you posted on the information we get from Microsoft. We really hope they gonna fix this issue soon - unfortunately, we are not able to work around this issue, because we get the information directly from the operating system.

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Team
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

n1kemax

Post by n1kemax » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:18 pm

A similar problem when using two monitors, "Ranorex Spy" can't track window control buttons (minimize, maximize and close), because they have attribute visible = false.
buttonClose.jpg
Can someone check this ?)

Windows 1903 Build 18362.295
Ranorex 8.1.2
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ahoisl
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post by ahoisl » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:55 pm

n1kemax wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:18 pm
A similar problem when using two monitors, "Ranorex Spy" can't track window control buttons (minimize, maximize and close), because they have attribute visible = false.
This is exactly the issue described in this thread, see the workaround I posted above to overcome it for now. Unfortunately, until now we only have confirmation from Microsoft that they can reproduce it, but no timeline or even a confirmation that they will fix it.

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Team

n1kemax

Post by n1kemax » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:41 pm

ahoisl wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:55 pm
This is exactly the issue described in this thread, see the workaround I posted above to overcome it for now. Unfortunately, until now we only have confirmation from Microsoft that they can reproduce it, but no timeline or even a confirmation that they will fix it.
Hi Alex,

Thank you for your quick response. I think these are different cases, since in my case even in the normal state, the window buttons are not highlighted :( (the problem in two monitors, when I switch to one, the buttons are highlighted).
Yes, I looked at your solution and it does not work in my case :( :( :(

UPD1:
Your solution worked :D but on one condition, the "main monitor" should be the monitor on the left, not the first :D (yes, sometimes admins connect monitors in different ways :lol: )

ahoisl
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post by ahoisl » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:26 am

We just got an update from Microsoft:
This fix is scheduled for release to Win10 1809 and 1903 builds in the 2020.03.C and D Cumulative updates ( 3rd and 4th week of March ) respectively.
So it will take some time, but eventually a fix should ship with Windows updates. We still need to test those fixes then, but looks promising.

Regards,
Alex

lkgjammy

Post by lkgjammy » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:55 am

ahoisl wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:26 am
We just got an update from Microsoft:
This fix is scheduled for release to Win10 1809 and 1903 builds in the 2020.03.C and D Cumulative updates ( 3rd and 4th week of March ) respectively.
So it will take some time, but eventually a fix should ship with Windows updates. We still need to test those fixes then, but looks promising.

Regards,
Alex
Hi, is there any update on this? Is this fixed?
Thanks!

ahoisl
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post by ahoisl » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:55 pm

As we are all working from home now, we could not test on the system we used to test this before (via RDP could be different), but I tested on my local machine (with current updates) and the issue seems to be gone :-)

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Team

pjain

Post by pjain » Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:37 pm

I have also faced this issue. I could fix this by changing the "scale and layout" setting in windows Display settings.I changed the size of texts and apps to 100% and Dsiplay resolution to 1920*1080. After this spy was able to track the elements properly.

Isaac

Post by Isaac » Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:29 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm also getting the same issue, I tried changing the desktop scale settings from 100 - 150 and resolution from 1366 x 768 - 1920 x 1080 but no luck at all. I also tried with different Ranorex Studio versions and changing the VMS to 1920 x 1080 but still no luck. I've launched the incident with Ranorex support team for two to three weeks and no positive feedback yet. I tried using the work around by ahoisl and that did not work. Please can anyone help

The Desktop is on windows 10 Enterprise, the VPN is on windows server 2012 r2 standard (version 6.3.9600 Build 9600).

I've attached a snapshot displaying how the Setting--Plugins screen looks and how the elements are tracked with wrong position

Regards,
Isaac