DevOps Release Pipeline and Ranorex.

Ranorex Studio, Spy, Recorder, and Driver.
dmconsulting1

DevOps Release Pipeline and Ranorex.

Post by dmconsulting1 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:37 pm

I wanted to create a separate topic in case my approach or something is the issue. What I would like to do is use DevOps Release Pipeline functionality to create either an On Demand or As Scheduled test. I have a regression suite of tests, I would like to be able to use DevOps to specify the build to run the suite against.

Here is my current setup, that isn't currently working. Ranorex doesn't have anything like this, so support is unable to replicate it. If there is a different/better way to do this, please enlighten me.

Here is the pipeline. The first stage copies the exe file to the test PC running a Ranorex agent.
releasePipeline.png
releasePipeline.png (33.16 KiB) Viewed 432 times
The second stage runs the regression suite on the agent.
ranorexTasks.png
ranorexTasks.png (14.41 KiB) Viewed 431 times

The first phase of the regression suite is to install the application on the agent PC and it does that. The next phase is to launch the application and test it. When the agent starts the app, it isn't started as admin, so the app isn't instrumented, so the tests fail.

My question is, is there a better way to do this? I want the ability to tell DevOps at 12:59 every third Sunday run the regression suite against "build X". Is that too much to ask?
Attachments
ranorexTasks.png
ranorexTasks.png (14.41 KiB) Viewed 432 times

Jacob
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Re: DevOps Release Pipeline and Ranorex.

Post by Jacob » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:21 pm

Hi dmconsulting1!

Unfortunately, we're not Azure DevOps experts here, but it does seem possible. I found this example from Michael Boeynaems that seems to indicate something like this is possible, but it may require elevated permissions for the agent itself so that it can run the Test Suite and AUT as an admin.

--Jacob

dmconsulting1

Post by dmconsulting1 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:55 pm

What doesn't make sense is the agent has no issues when run as part of the build pipeline and it's literally running the same tests. Install, then open and run the UAT. As far as Ranorex is concerned there is no difference in package. So why would the agent need anything different as far as elevated rights? It's the same tests.

dmconsulting1

Post by dmconsulting1 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:58 pm

This shows how to do it, the only difference is rather than Build Solution in Step #3, it's Use Build X

https://www.ranorex.com/help/latest/int ... roduction/
ranorexDevOps.png
ranorexDevOps.png (48.2 KiB) Viewed 362 times