Weird issues happening with Rxpaths

Technology specific object identification, supported applications, web technologies, and 3rd party controls.
ShrutiS

Weird issues happening with Rxpaths

Post by ShrutiS » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:18 pm

Hi,

We are using Ranorex to automate one of our application
We have Ranorex 6.0 installed and we are facing weird issues recently regarding rxpaths and this has become very frustating
We have our local machines where we create scripts and test them and we have a test agent which runs nightly build for all the tests - both the machines have same Ranorex versions

Issue 1: Rxpath that used to work before is not working now (I can assure, there is no chnage in application being automated)
Somehow, the rxpath that we had captured earlier are not working now
Old Rxpath which was working before but not now:
"/form[@wpfnative='True' and @title='Edit Virtual View' and @processname='someprocess']/?/?/tabpagelist/tabpage[@index='0']/list/container[1]/container[2]/listitem[1]//checkbox"
Updated RxPath to:(and it worked)
"/form[@wpfnative='True' and @title='Edit Virtual View' and @processname='someprocess']//tabpagelist/tabpage[@index='0']/list/container[1]/container[2]/listitem[1]//checkbox"

the only difrence in these two is I removed all the "?" and replaced with "//"

Issue 2: same rxPath is working on Local machine but not on Test Agent

For so many rxpath, If I run my scripts on Local, it works but when I run on testagent it doesnt work
This is really very confusing as both the machines have same Ranorex version installed, same .NET versions and everything

e.g.
for one element, the rxpath used was:
/form[@controlname='CalculationsForm']//tabpage[@title='All']/table
which works well locally but not on test agent
On Using Ranorex spy on test agent, I realized that Ranorex is now not able to identify TabPage node and recognizes it as "Element" instead of "Tabpage"
I updated my Rxpath to:
/form[@controlname='CalculationsForm']//?[@title='All']/table
to make it work

Issue 3:
This issue is similar to Issue 2 but with one more weird thing
The same Test script works on local but not on test agent
When I logged in to tets agent to see the problem, I launched Ranorex spy and copy-pasted the same rxpath that the code was using, it could find the element.
But as the test was still failing for the same rxpath on test agent, I thought of finding the same rxpath via Ranorex studio.
When I launched ranorex studio and added an item in it's RxRepository with the same Rxpath, it didnt work. I could see that Ranorex Studio is not identifying so many nodes now,and all the nodes that it couldnt identify were being replaced by "Element"
I could see a "form" node replaced by "Element", a "Text" node replaced by "Element", etc
This is sooo weird.
On the same machine(test agent), Ranorex spy(launched seperately) is able to identify rxpath but Ranorex studio is not.
Rxpath from Ranorex spy(launched seperately):
/form[@controlname='TemplateDesignerForm']/container[@controlname='tlpMain']/container[@controlname='splitContainer']//form[@title='' and @controltypename='TableDetailForm' and @instance='0']/?/?/text[@controlname='listViewFilter']/text[@accessiblerole='Text']
Rxpath by spying from Ranorex Studio:
/form[@controlname='TemplateDesignerForm']/container[@controlname='tlpMain']/container[@controlname='splitContainer']/container[@controlname='panel1']//container[@controlname='pnlBackground']//container[@controlname='tableLayoutPanel1']/element[@controlname='listViewFilter']/text[@accessiblerole='Text']

Also, if I update the rxpath In my Code to use the one obtained after spying from Ranorex Studio, my code works fine on tets agent.

For your reference, I am attaching snapshots I have captured for exact same element using Ranorex spy(launched seperately) and Ranorex Studio.

But I cant keep updating all these rxpath just without no reason.
Why is there a descrepancy between Ranorex studio spy and Ranorex Spy Launched seperately
Why are so many nodes not identified now and are just being replaced ny "Element" node

All these issues are driving our team crazy
We havent been able to focus on real issues at all because of these unlimited false failure issues introduced.

Please help
Please look issue 2 and 3 on priority as it's really blocking our work
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Weird issues happening with Rxpaths

Post by Support Team » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:13 pm

Hello ShrutiS,

May I ask you to send an email to [email protected]. We would like to handle your issue via email.

First of all, please update to our latest version, currently Ranorex 6.1.0.

Please provide as much information regarding your issue as possible. Also, please add Ranorex snapshots of your application under test and any other relevant data.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
Robert

ShrutiS

Post by ShrutiS » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:27 pm

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your response.
I have sent a mail to support team explaining our issues.
Hope to get some reply from them soon.

Thanks,
Shruti

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:26 pm

Hello,

Issues seems to be related to incorrect privileges. Unfortunately, we didn't get a confirmation from the customer.

Sincerely,
Robert