What dependencies are required to run a compiled script

Ask general questions here.
Aracknid

What dependencies are required to run a compiled script

Post by Aracknid » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:54 pm

Hi,

Using Visual Studio 2010 and the Ranorex API, I'm creating a console application that gets compiled into an EXE that I can run to execute my script. I've only tried this on the development machine. I was wondering would this EXE work on another machine that did not have the Ranorex API or Visual Studio 2010 installed, or is it a requirement that one or both be installed on the system running the EXE?

I'd try this for myself, but currently I'm unable and need to know the answer.

thanks,

Aracknid.

Ciege

Re: What dependencies are required to run a compiled script

Post by Ciege » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:05 pm

Your other machine must have a Ranorex license.
If all you want to do is run your compiled test(s) on the other machine, then all that is needed is a Ranorex runtime license.
If this or any response has helped you, please reply to the thread stating that it worked so other people with a similar issue will know how you fixed your issue!

Ciege...

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:08 pm

Ciege wrote:Your other machine must have a Ranorex license.
You also need the Ranorex Runtime installed on the computer or you have to XCOPY the whole "bin" folder from the Ranorex installation directory to the target machine and place the executable into that copied "bin" folder.

See the following blog post for more information:
http://www.ranorex.com/forum/cannot-run ... html#p5711

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Team

Aracknid

Post by Aracknid » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:16 pm

So, just to follow up...

I've got the license, so I don't need the Ranorex API on the other system?

With respect to .NET VB or C#, if the script I created "imports" various items, I assume the system on which I run it would need .NET 4 installed?

I very beginner on the Visual Studio development, and I don't really know what happens under the covers when you compile the program and make an EXE. In the old days with VB6, you had to compile AND package up the program and it would include all the dependency DLL's and other items for you when you wanted to install it on another system. I'm not doing an install, but the thought I had was the same... that I would need to ensure various DLL's are 'packaged' (or pre-installed), but I guess that's all contained in .NET 4?

Thanks,

Aracknid

Ciege

Post by Ciege » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:28 pm

You will need the licensed runtime version of Ranorex installed on the other computer.

Your code should have the different DLLs referenced under the References section of your solution.

If you developed using .NET 4 then you will need .NET 4 installed on that machine as well.
If this or any response has helped you, please reply to the thread stating that it worked so other people with a similar issue will know how you fixed your issue!

Ciege...